Sunday, January 15, 2012

Southwestern Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Mini Meatloaves with Chipotle Glaze




Oh, how I love meatloaf. I think it is just one of those things you either really love, or really hate. Meatloaf for me is one of my number one comfort food go-to. I would always get really happy way back in the day when my mom would inform us she was making meatloaf. I wasn’t sure if I would ever come across an interesting twist to the basic meatloaf that I would actually love, but this does it for me. Not  only is it tasty it is also a light dish to have for dinner coming in at 382 calories for one loaf, and trust me the loaf is a very generous size. Please ignore the fact that my pictures aren't very good quality, I didn't want to pull out my nice camera for this because it was a messy recipe but very easy.
Add the ingredients in a bowl.
Mix well.
Form balls and poke with finger.

Now stuff these balls with cheese.

Then add the glaze and bake in the oven.
Bam, finished. And as always we are classy with the plastic plate. We obviously served this with corn on the cob, and italian green beans with tomatoes.



Ingredients:
1 lb pound lean ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
1/3  cup dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1 large egg
6 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
½ cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
Directions:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat an oblong baking pan with cooking spray. Combine the meat, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of ketchup and mix. It is a lot easier to use your hands for this. Then, divide the meat mixture in to 4 even portions and roll in to a ball. Make an indention in the middle with your finger, about 1 ½ inch deep. Stuff each indention with 2 tablespoons cheese and pinch the sides to seal the cheese inside.
Next, make the chipotle glaze. In a bowl combine the remaining 4 tablespoons of ketchup and chipotle in a bowl, spread over each loaf, about 1 tablespoon per loaf. Put the loaves in to the oven and bake about 30 minutes.




























No comments:

Post a Comment