Friday, April 5, 2013

A Southern Favorite: Hushpuppies

In South Carolina you can get hush puppies as a side practically anywhere. However, they go incredibly great with BBQ and seafood. I like to make hush puppies and salmon patties at home. To me that pairing goes nicely together. :) I make them two different ways depending on my dietary needs at the moment. Regardless though, this isn't exactly a low calorie diet friendly treat anyways. I favorite is obviously when I fry it in the oven, you get the little crispy ends from dropping it in to the hot oil and its just delicious. Then, making them in the cake pop/ doughnut hole maker is slightly healthier because it isn't fried. The recipe is the same for both ways except frying them requires oil.

Fried Hushpuppies




Hushpuppies Recipe: 
Ingredients: 
1cup flour 
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix 
1/2 teaspoon sugar 
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk 
1 small sweet yellow onion or 1-2 green onions OR 1/2 yellow onion and 1 stalk green onion (I like to mix it up a bit sometimes =) ) 

Steps: Chop your onions. Mix together ingredients. Let mixture stand about 10 minutes. Drop batter 1 tablespoon at a time in to a deep fry or pot of oil.  
Hushpuppies in a Cake Pop Maker 


 Steps: The directions are similar to frying except with out the oil. Heat your cake pop maker and then add about 1 tablespoon of the mixture in to the holes provided. 

The Cake Pop and Doughnut maker I have is RIGHT HERE for $19.99 at Target, except mine is red! :) I like to think of different uses for my funky machines like this.  

Also, PS: Liam LOVES hushpuppies he practically fought Blake for the leftovers, it was HILARIOUS.  

Nom.

Happy for leftovers that we dipped in honey mustard.
 

1 comment:

  1. Been craving these all day! So glad you posted it. It was the only one that came up on a pinterest search for "DIY Hushpuppies". Sounds Delicious.

    ReplyDelete