Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fajitas and Mexican Rice

I haven't posted in forever I am sorry. I take the pictures to update but I never do. I suck. Since my diet though I have been wanting to blog more about my progress and the food aspect of a diet. These fajitas are so simple, nothing homemade or anything..probably not the healthiest when added with the rice. I did these back in October and, yes, never updated my blog when I truly meant to. Fajitas have the potential to be really healthy when made with chicken or shrimp (or both). If you add a whole wheat tortilla, onions, green, red, and yellow bell peppers its pretty delicious (and healthy). In all actuality I probably do not need to blog about such a simple recipe but I do think that this is a great dinner idea and staple to add to your family's favorites.

Fajitas
Ingredients:
Fajita seasong
1lb meat such as chicken, shrimp, or steak (chopped or sliced)
Trio Bell Peppers (red, green, yellow)
1 large onion
2 TBSP Olive Oil

Direction:
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the meat and cook until it is no longer pink/red or in the case of shrimp until it is pink. :) Remove the meat and heat another tablespoon of olive oil, once hot add the chopped vegetables and cook until soft but still crisp, add the meat, and then follow the directions on the fajita seasoning. If there are no directions then you'll want to add the seasoning and just a little bit of water to get it to mix well with the meat and veggies. Serve with any condiments such as lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, refried beans, cheese, or sour cream. I personally just prefer cheese and a dollop of sour cream.




Mexican Rice

This rice was so delicious. I have absolutely no idea how many calories in it and I don't want to know. I am sure it is a lot. I will not be making it again until I shed a little more weigh. I absolutely LOVED it. It was a bit spicey so you may want to attempt making it less spicey for little ones, or set some plain cheesy rice aside.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups long-grain  rice (uncooked)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 8oz can of petite diced tomatoes
6 ounces of mild salsa
1 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar

Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice, onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook until the rice is browned and vegetables are tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.  Stir in the cheese and switch to a plastic micing bowl or serving bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment