Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cantonese-Style Shrimp and Napa Cabbage with Wild Rice

I would like to think that I have been doing rather well on my diet. I worked out last night for about an hour 30 or more minutes on the elliptical, crunches, alternating bicep curls, and lying abduction, all very easy things to do. If you follow me on Sparkpeople, you will see that I have been under the recommended 1,200 calorie intake they advise to lose weight. I am shocked, a little worried that I may not be eating enough. But truthfully I am full. I never go hungry. I started eating a little something for breakfast in the morning even though I never feel hungry as soon as I wake up. This little something varies a lot but it is usually never over 200 calories for breakfast. Lunch, I have a rather large salad. Sometimes I add meat or sometimes I will add cheese. It depends on what I have in my fridge. For example I love getting boneless skinless chicken breast in the bag, and salmon fillets becase the salmon fillets are usually individually wrapped and are so easy to take out, dethaw and cook real quick. Dinner is typically a normal dinner, I have been cooking lighter and healthier and that is probably why I am not going over my calories either. I figure, I will just get a multivitamin and not worry too much about it because I know I am eating a lot healthier than I was before. But, with that being said I feel guilty for chowing down on some french fries and zax sauce, lol. Honestly though, I've been craving it forever and I'd rather let myself have it then binge out whenever I get the opportunity and crack. Not to mention I am making a pretty healthy dinner tonight to more than make up for it. :)

Here is one of the new recipes I tried from Cooking Light magazine. It is, in my opinion, DELISH! The serving size is suppose to be 4 and with rice or soba noodles its a decent size serving. However, if you're cooking for a family with men or boys...you may want to double it. lol



Cantonese-Style Shrimp and Napa Cabbage


Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth

  • 2 tablespoons medium dry sherry
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons peanut oil
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
  • 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World) (I used ground though, and it turned out just fine.)
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
  • 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage
  • 1/3 cup diagonally cut green onions

Preparation

  1. 1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
  2. 2. Heat a wok or skillet over high heat. Add oils to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp; stir-fry 1 minute. Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in cabbage; cook 1 minute. Top with onions.

Like I said before the recipe is suppose to serve 4, the serving size is about 3/4 cups, 186 calories; fat 6.7; protein 24.5; carb 5.4; fiber 1.6; chol 72; iron 3.1; sodium 509; calc 92.I added some of zatarhains (sp?) long grain and wild rice which brought this recipe to 301 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment