Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spicy Chicken and Mushrooms For Dinner and Lunch

This is a REALLY easy, simple recipe. It is a little too spicy for kids, so if you want to make it for them, I would hold off on the red pepper flakes, or maybe just add a dash. What I loved most about this recipe is that not only is it really quick but it made for an excellent salad the next day.  For dinner we put it over brown rice and served it with a side of green beans and carrots. I love being able to use leftovers for lunch the next day, so I really felt like I was winning here.  I’ll put what I did different than the original recipe in parenthesis because frankly I almost always switch something up. This is a 30 minute meal!




Spicy Chicken and Mushrooms
Ingredients:
1lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut in to ½ inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger (ground is okay too)
2 cups sliced mushrooms (or 1 8oz container)
4 scallions sliced (green onions)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy 
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
½ cup chopped cilantro (I don’t care too much for cilantro, and I didn’t have anything fresh on hand so I used some dried basil probably about 1-2 tsp)
Directions:  Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger in pan and cook for one minute. Stir in mushrooms, scallions, red pepper flakes, ¼ tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper, cook for 3 minutes stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and add chicken to the pan, sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about 4 minutes or until your chicken is cooked through. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and cilantro, and cook for about 2 minutes.
Serving: 176 calories per serving. 5 g of fat, 28 g protein, 4 g carb, 1 g fiver, 516 sodium, 66 mg chol

Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Salad:
Leftover Spicy Chicken and Mushrooms from dinner the night before.
1 cup spinach
1 cup romaine lettuce
½ of a medium-large tomato chopped
1 green onion, sliced on top 
1-2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese 
Your Choice of Salad Dressing (Light Zesty Italian or Balsamic was my choice)



Crappy iPhone picture from Dinner. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment