Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Family's Best Friend

Uh, Sorry his Lipstick is out.






I thought I would go all, crazy dog lady on you.  We "adopted" Ace from a family member who couldn't keep him anymore. So, you could say we were friends before starting a relationship!:) We stayed with Travis's dad and step mom while remodeling our house (we had to completely gut it and replace everything). Ace and I bonded while we were at his dad's house because Ace lived next door.  We had a black lab/shephard mix named June at first but she was CRAZY, hyper, and NEVER stayed in the yard. We had to keep her in a kennel, then created a zip line for her. One day I let her off to get some more exercise, popped her on the butt for jumping on Blake and scratching him very badly, and then she ran off in to the woods. I do believe someone picked her up though because she never came home. Later while at the grocery store I saw her in a truck, I'm thinking a new family has her now. So I'm not worried anymore about that. I'm happy she's okay and with a new family. 

Anyways, rambling here, Ace fits so perfectly with our family. He gets in to trouble every once in awhile but ultimately he is a sweet big loveable guy. We all love him soooo much. So, when he went missing on Valentines day I was super worried. Not to mention, Travis informed me that out her in the boonies people will shoot strange dogs that come on their property. What-the-heck??? Turns out, someone saw him on our road and didn't know that he belonged to us so they called animal control. *sigh* It's really our fault. We've had Ace since (I think October) and we've yet to get him a Pet Id tag, or update his rabies shot. So, needless to say, that is all done after a huge headache. 
This reminds me of Ace. LOL (Doug from the movie Up)


It really made me see how important Ace is to me. I don't know if that sounds silly or corny? He is just the perfect dog for my family. He is so calm and reserved (for a 2 year old lab). He is the sweetest guy. When I first met Ace, I was all look, "Wow you're kind of creepy looking." Because he has some weird golden eyes that I've never seen before. Now I like his eyes, because it makes him different. :) Honestly, when I'm having a bad day he always cheers me up. So, usually when I want to reward Ace or just when I want to give him a treat it's typically meat or his regular store bought treats. But today, I want to share with you my favorite recipe to make just for doggies. Dog cake! Because our fur babies deserve to feel special and to have tasty "sweet" treats too. :) 

Puppy-dog Cake 


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup soft butter
1 (2 1/2 ounce) jar beef baby food (or you can puree any meat)
4 eggs
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup honey
2 slices beef jerky ((2 to 3)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease cake pan with cooking spray.  
Cream butter and honey until smooth.  Mix together your wet ingredients with the butter mixture, and then mix your dry ingredients together in a second bowl. Mix dry ingredients into beef mixture until batter is smooth. Crumble beef jerky and fold into batter. Pour batter into pan.
Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes.  (watch this as baking times vary)
Ice with plain yogurt, peanut butter, or cottage cheese. (Or even a mixture of two, or all)
J
Store uneaten cake in refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment