Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Perfect Hot Dog


Spare me the unhealthy talk about hot dogs please. I don't care. I love hot dogs. I always have, I always will. We may do this once a month, maybe. We really do not have hot dogs often actually so when we do have them, I GO ALL OUT. People usually find it strange how I make my "perfect" hot dog.It is just like some people's idea of a perfect pizza with all their favorite topping, a hot dog works them same way. My idea of a perfect hot dog includes the following items:
  • sauerkraut (just a little bit)
  • pickles 
  • frenches fried onions or homemade fried onions
  • chilli (leftover or store bought) 
  • mustard
  • ketchup 
  • diced onions
  • cheese 
  • whole wheat bun 
  • ALL BEEF hot dog weenie 

And thus deliciousness ensures. My favorite places to go out to eat are hot dog and hamburger joints who make their own home made french fries and potato chips and have 50+ different hot dog and hamburger combinations to try.   Recently I tried one that had friend onions and white barbeque sauce. It was delicious! I would be SUCH a cheap date for someone, and not a girly girl type of meal at all. As much as I love hot dogs for dinner on a busy hectic day, we all love leftovers for lunch. But after having such awesome toppings the night before a plain hot dog is super boring to pack. You can't just put all the toppings on then pack it because it makes your container messy and everything will go EVERYWHERE. So here is how I pack it in Travis's lunch.



 How To




Now, my husband rarely texts me during his lunch hour to tell me how awesome his lunch was but this day he did. I simply put two hot dogs inside their buns in a container where they could both fit easily. Then, I packed the toppings in small dip Rubbermaid containers. I remember getting the set from someone and thinking, "What am I going to do with these small containers?" They've come in to good use for lunches and storing sauces. Invest in some! What my husband has here from left to right, top then bottom, is shredded cheese, chili, diced jalapenos, and lightly fried onions. Want to know how to make the onions? OKay! :)
Fried Onions 
You will need: 1 large onion, bread crumbs, 1 egg whisked, and oil (olive, canola, vegtable, whiched you prefer).
Directions: Heat 2 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan, enough onion to simple coat the bottom of the pan, peel the skin off your onion then cut the ends off. After that, slice the onion in half, turn it on to it's flat side then slice the width of it. Dip the slices of onion in the whisked egg, then dip it in to the bread crumbs making sure you cover the onion slice, add in to hot pan until onions are soft.

So, what is YOUR idea of the perfect hot dog toppings? Please feel free to share. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment