Monday, January 16, 2012

Cajun Salmon Salad

I was asked recently what lunch looks like for me. Assuming I do not have leftovers, I usually make a salad. Do I ever get bored with salad? Absolutely not!  Salad is so versatile. There is so much you can do with it. You don't have to stick with the boring ho-hum plain tossed salad, spice it up, and add veggies you usually wouldn't. Something I really love on a bed of veggies is a salmon fillet. Can you say yum? Something else I really love that I have just recently discovered...the George Foreman! Seriously my whole lunch took me about 10 minutes to prepare. I made a big bowl of tossed salad last night so all I did was measure that out, that cut time down. If you don't have a George, go get one. Right now! It is awesome. I should've had one while I was living in Montana. We could've had grilled food in the winter without standing outside during a snow storm. *sigh*
                To the point, a plain tossed salad usually consist of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and onion. I could see, easily, how someone could get bored with that. Here is something to try for lunch or even as a solo dinner that is an interesting twist to that boring tossed salad.

This recipe is 245 calories without dressing.

You will need:

1 Salmon Fillet, 4 oz

Tossed Salad, 1.5 cups (iceberg lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion)

2 tablespoons corn

2 tablespoons black beans

2 tablespoons sliced black olives

Cajun Seasoning

Garlic Salt

I seasoned both sides of my salmon with Cajun seasoning and garlic salt, to taste. I put it in the George Foreman grill for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. You could bake it on a cookie sheet in the over but you will need to adjust the timing, and it will take a little longer.  Add the veggies together and sprinkle the top with Cajun seasoning, a little sprinkle if you aren’t big on spicy foods.


 Add the salmon on top when it is done and voila!!

 I added light vinaigrette to my lunch today making it 305 calories but if you can manage to go without dressing then this is fine without it. I feel full and satisfied and ready for a run in a few.  

This is the Cajun seasoning I used, just f.y.i.

No comments:

Post a Comment