Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Shredded BBQ Chicken with carmalized onions and a Summer Pea Salad


Now, the trick to this is that you MUST have a Kaiser roll whether you get it from the Deli or off the shelf by the hamburger buns and you must have the onions it compliments it so well.

This is my own recipe so I hope you likes it, I get nothing but compliments. I like to start this right when I wake up in the crock pot and finish it up around supper time.  :)

Shredded Chicken in the Crock pot.
4 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken
3 chicken bouillon cubes
About 4 or 5 dabs of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

- Add enough water to generously cover the chicken. Cook on low for at least 6 hours, however it can go all day just fine and be ready when you get home from work, school, whatever. Dump broth in to an extra bowl, you can throw it away if you like but I like to let it cool then freeze some for a later date when I may need chicken broth. Keep just a little in the pot to keep the chicken moist. Begin shredding with a fork, the texture of it is completely up to you. I like mine super shredded finely so it takes some work. When you are done shredding add the following:

1 dash of cayenne pepper
ground black pepper
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic & herbs
1 tablespoon parsley
The barbecue sauce is up to you as well as how much you put in it. I like to use Sweet Baby Rays, or Sticky Fingers Carolina, Yellow sauce would be rather tasty too but I haven't tried that one yet. I just keep eyeballing it until I am stirring it and I can no longer tell that the chicken was white.

Caramelized Onions
Slice onions
Melt butter
dash a little pepper and garlic salt
Saute
Nom Nom Nom
(Just in case you didn't know how to do that, although I've known how to do that since I was like 13)

Summer Pea Salad
2 cups frozen green peas cooked and cooled
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes Or chopped heirloom tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup red onion or vidalia as you see in the picture
dash of ground pepper
2 tbsp parsley(optional)
1/2 cup cheese (feta cheese is yummy like this, I used shredded mozzarella here, but I also think shredded or small dices of cheddar would be nice too.)
Juice of one lemon or 3 Tbsp lemon juice

Mix it all together, cool, serve. I added a little house Italian dressing to my serving, just because.

Leftover Idea
-We always, ALWAYS have leftover shredded bbq chicken so I like to make bbqchicken quasadillas. Blake loves any quasadilla. Its so easy to make for lunch or a quick dinner you just toss the stuff in a soft shell tortilla fold it over, heat up some olive oil in the pan get it a nice golden brown color on each side and bam, quick lunch. I like to put the chicken in with some cheddar cheese. I like to give him something to dip it in as well usually either extra bbq sauce or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment