Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rise and Shine with Apple-Strawberry Mini Muffins

I've been up since 7am. I'm not sure why Blake isn't sleeping lately. I just hope he isn't a grumpy butt. Thank goodness I made some muffins yesterday because I was NOT up for cooking this morning. Even if I knew I had to wake up early regardless. Today I have to head to a town near-by-ish where my Dad lives, take the boys to him, and then take pictures of a 6 month old for some old friends of mine. I have to leave my house by 11, it is about 8 now.  Luckily I made a set list for my family and a to-do list of things I need to do, mostly before I leave me house.

To Do List 
  • Recipe Blog Post 
  • Feed Chickens
  • Feed Rabbit 
  • Feed Dog 
  • Feed Kids (lol) 
  • Start Chicken Gumbo in the Crock Pot 
  • Find Crochet Tomato Hat and Box 
  • Find Picture Frame Clean basket and Owl 
  • Charge Camera Battery 
  • Get Dressed 
  • Get Makeup on 
  • Load up the Truck with the Above 
  • Load up the Truck with Donations to Goodwill
  • Pack a Bag for the Boys
  • Pack Camera Bag
 Yeah, I need some motivation to get started. I have some really cute ideas and I believe the mommy and daddy of the 6 month old does too. Should be super CUUUUUTE! And I'll try to share a sneak peek on here later. For now though, I will leave you with a muffin recipe.





Ingredients
  • 2 cups all purpose flour (or 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup milk (low fat or whole cow’s milk, almond, rice or soy milk will work)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or canola oil
  • 1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 cup strawberries, diced
  • ½ of a gala apple, peeled and deseeded then shredded with a cheese grater
Directions
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and add milk, applesauce, honey, vanilla, and lemon zest and stir.  I used my standing mixer but you can use your hand and spoon as well to slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet until incorporated. Stir until just mixed, try not to over mix. Add the strawberries and shredded apples to the batter.  Line or grease muffins tins and fill 2/3 of the way with batter. Bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick tester comes out clean.

 I swear, muffins never last between my boys and my hubs. These are practically all gone now. I just made them last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment