Monday, February 25, 2013

go AWAY rain

I'm not one to usually complain about rain. I LOVE the rain. I love rainy days and how lazy they feel. I love having a nice warm, soul soothing meal on said wet, chilly, rainy days.

We've had so much rain the last few weeks though. The boys haven't had a chance to really play outside in awhile because it was either raining or too wet to play outside. Now the ground is super wet and messing up my routine.

I currently cannot flush my toilet.

I can't wash clothes for a few days.

I can't wash dishes unless its really quick, so I'm just going to do it once a day. I think I'll ask Travis if he minds going to the store to get some plastic plates.

We have to take super duper quick showers. Blake will take a shower pretty well, but Liam is terrified of it. I usually always give them a bath together.

I'm kind of miserable right now. I thought I'd whine about it on my blog.

 I've been trying to do fun things with the boys. I have a box in my cabinet above my washing machine and dryer that I call, "supervised fun box", it has playdough, flarp, silly string, crayons, and coloring books. That has been pulled out a lot lately. Blake asked me earlier if he was good could he play with playdough. I guess, yes! We pulled out puzzles, hi hi cherry-o, and candyland yesterday. Blake got a 24 piece Angry bird puzzle for his birthday and loved it. We ut it together, together. I showed him strategies such as looking at the flat edges, corners, and starting on characters and then plugging them in with the other pieces. Then I remembered that we had another 24 piece Winnie the Pooh puzzle from forever ago that we haven't put together. I put it up so that it wouldn't get messed up. I didn't think he was ready for it yet, but now he is. He put the Winnie the Pooh one together almost all by himself. He had help from me once. I think its really great for his patience. I've been trying to discipline more by time outs, sending to his room, then after he calms down I'll go in his room and talk to him about what he did wrong and what he needs to do from now on. Raising kids= difficult. I've been doing a lot of soul searching over the last year after moving in to our own home and I just want the boys to be wonderful boys. Polite, southern gentlemen. I want my future daughter in laws to thank me for raising such great men. I think this has come about lately because Blake is going through a bossy, angry, and selfish stage. One thing I can say about Blake, which is both good and bad, is that he is like the Robin Hood of toddlers. lol If he sees anyone being mean to a kid, hitting, or disciplining them he will yell at them and try to hit them back (if they are hitting). He does this especially for my little brother and his little cousin when they get in trouble.

So, as you can imagine...being inside all day had been tough. They aren't getting enough energy out. I wish we didn't live so far away from cities and towns sometimes, because then I could take the boys to an indoor gym or just anywhere fun. BLEH! I pinned a few cute ideas on pinterest for us to try and do. Unfortunately, I really need to stock up on some craft supplies and maybe make a list so that I can start doing more things like that with them. I love doing crafts, especially kid crafts. :) My trouble with the boys is losing patience with them. I'm thinking Blake is old enough now to where I could let him know what to do, guide him, but still do a lot of helping with Liam. It would probably be great for Liam to develop language skills. That will be my rainy day plans. Indoor fun! Since apparently there are some cleaning chores that can be ignored for now. =|

True to my tradition, what would a rainy day be without a slow cooker meal? I identify slow cooker meals with the same soul warming feeling meals like soup and chili give. So this is definitely a new favorite of mine!

Provencal Chicken and Beans 

Provencal anything is typically made with garlic, onion, mushrooms, tomato, olive oil, and Herbes de Provence. So as you can guess, this dish is french. Herbes de Provence is something you can create if you have a good stash of dried herbs or you have your own herb garden.


  Ingredients
  • 24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 small onion, sliced
    1 yellow bell pepper, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 8oz can sliced mushrooms or 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 (16 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (14.5 oz ) can petite diced tomatoes with basil and
    oregano or any style of canned tomatoes
  • 2 1 tablespoon herbes de provence  
  • 1 dash salt
    1 dash black pepper
  • 1 clove or garlic
  • OR instead of Hebes de Provence
    2 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried thyme 
  • 1 teaspoon oregano 


·          
·          
·         Directions
·         Place all ingredients into a slow cooker, stir and cover with lid; cook on low heat for 7 hours. Add beans at the last 30 minutes, and turn to high. Otherwise your beans will become too cooked.  Makes 6 one cup servings.

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 6
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 225.6
  • Total Fat: 1.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 65.7 mg
  • Sodium: 842.3 mg
  • Total Carbs: 19.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.9 g
  • Protein: 30.2 g






No comments:

Post a Comment