Thursday, January 19, 2012

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

This week I am doing a few recipes by Hungry Girl, a few need to be revised and recalculated calorie wise to fit a family. This recipe is really delicious and one of those that you could put on in the morning before you go to work, or start your day, and leave it for when you get home.

I promise from now on I will use my nice camera and not my iPhone to take pictures BUT take my word on it this was SOOOOOOOOO good. Did I mention it was 117 calories a cup? Yeah, so if you wanted to have a second helping...go ahead, no guilt!

I made the recipe a little different because of what I had on hand and I didn't want it to be too spicy.

There is about 10 servings, 1 serving is about 1 cup.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
8 ounces raw boneless chicken breasts cutlets
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces smoked turkey sausage cut in to 1/4 inch coins
One 10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies (not drained)
1 medium tomato chopped
3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
2 cups frozen chopped okra
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon chopped garlic or bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon thyme

Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and place it in the crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low 7 to 8 hours, make sure chicken is fully cooked and remove. Place the chicken on a plate or in a bowl take two forks using one fork to hold the chicken steady and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return shredded chicken to the crock pot and stir well.



DONE!




No comments:

Post a Comment