Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Egg roll Cray-zay!



I have been trying to find my food journal for WEEKS. Because usually when I come up with a recipe on a whim, I write everything down so that I do not forget how I made it the first time. There is this AWESOME recipe I came up with  awhile back, originally for the hubs because I don't usually eat spicy food. However, I tried it just to see how it tasted and it was delicious.

When I say egg roll crazy, I did go a little crazy making egg rolls after I discovered where they were located in my grocery store. I've always wanted to try and make my own, I don't like the idea of fried food anymore because  it upsets my stomach after eating relatively clean for awhile. When I found the wraps in the grocery store for buy one get one free, I couldn't resist. :)  So without further ado here are some awesome alternatives to the egg rolls you find in the Chinese restaurants and a little creation I came up with myself. First I tried a shrimp egg roll using salad shrimp and broccoli slaw.

Shrimp and Broccoli Egg Rolls 

You will simply need:
Small packs broccoli slaw mix (you can regular slaw mix)
1 Package salad shrimp (frozen section)
1 egg roll package
1 egg
Olive oil
salt & pepper

Directions will be difficult for me to explain because I didn't really measure anything. The egg roll package itself will explain to you how to roll it. The egg is mixed with 1tbsp of warm water and used to seal the egg rolls shut. So, basically put a little bit of slaw on your wrap, a little bit of shrimp, roll it almost as if rolling a burrito, brush egg mixture along side to seal the end of the egg roll wrap. Brush olive oil on a baking sheet. Once you've rolled and prepared all of your egg rolls brush them all with olive oil as well. Bake at 350 degrees until rolls are golden brown.




Creamy Buffalo Chicken and Jalapeno Egg Roll/Mix 

So THIS is my happy accident creation! Not that it was very hard to do. This went in to an egg roll and we dipped the egg rolls in to ranch. This mixture could also go in to a flour tortilla wrap as well for something delicious. Either way, try it you'll like it! 
Ingredients:
2 pieces of cooked boneless skinless chicken, shredded
2 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup jarred jalapeno slices
1/2 cup Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce 
Olive Oil
1 egg with 1Tbsp hot water whisked together. 
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
I used leftover chicken for this but if you need to, bake and cool your chicken. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil., lightly. Then shred in in a small bowl with the cream cheese. This will help the cream cheese mix with the chicken. After that mix in you jalapenos and buffalo sauce. I'd say about 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture should go on your egg roll wrap. Wrap it up and seal with your egg and water mixture. Brush the tops of your eggs rolls on the baking sheet with olive oil. Cook in the oven until golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment