Monday, March 19, 2012

Sausage Pie!


This is one of my husband's favorites. Now that he is home, I figured I should make it. I hadn't in awhile, and after the first bite I thought to myself, "Why have I not made this in such a long time?" I truely forgot how yummy it is. Even my picky eater Liam ate it all! Thats a kitchen miracle! You absolutely must make this. MUST I SAY! This is my small twist on a PD classic!


Sausage Pie
  • 1lb ground sausage (turkey for a slighly healthier option if you wish)
  • 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon light butter
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3 ounces of 1/3 fat cream cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
  • 1 9 inch pillsbury deep dish pie crust, half way cooked and cooled (it is 90 cals)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cook your sausage in a pan and crumble with the spatula or a fork. Drain sausage in a colander when it is done and set it aside. Melt butter in the skillet on medium heat and saute the green peppers and garlic until slightly tender. Add the milk and heat until steam rises, do NOT boil it. Cut cream cheese in to the milk mixture, small pieces. Remove the pan from the heat and add eggs in to the mixture and beat until smooth, then add the cheddar cheese, worcestershire sauce, and pepper.

Add tis mixture in to the partially cooked pie crust, add the sausage on top. Cooke for 30 minutes. Once done let it sit too cool off. This makes it a little more solid and easier to cut.

All in all, one slice of this should be about 250 calories or so. I served with a garden fresh salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment